Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Chimps are people too...

OK so firstly I have not posted in ages - I keep on meaning to but then someting will come up and it just gets pushed to one side. So anyway, we have only played two games of scrabble since I last wrote, one which John won (after much cheating) and one which I won (despite John's cheating) so the status quo (this was one of the cheaters words) is maintains. If you are interested in the actual scores so far, you can see them at Johns site.

In the meantime I have been knitting up a storm and have a number of completed bits and still more WIP's on the needles. My latest finished project is a dinosaur/dragon for my sister. I started with Jean Greenhowe dinosaur which the plan was to add wings from her terodactyl and the dorsal ridge of her other dinoasaur and then TA-DA there would be a dinosaur. However, this did not go exactly according to plan. First og all the initial pattern I started adapting I *think* that the pattern for the leg is wrong but I can't say for sure as I am not a great knitter. I then try again with a different pattern and it knits up fine. I make it up and them sew the face on and was a little disappointed as I realised, in the middle of the dino's back, there was an error (I think I increased one too many times) so to cover this up I made a little man, a dragon rider if you will, based on the little cavemen that Jean Greenhowe designed to go with the dinos. I then put the face on the dino and it ended up looking a little... um... well not right. BUT I soldiered on and sewed the dragonrider on to the back of the mentally challenged dragon. It wobbled.... I gave up and put it to one side in digust and vowed never to mention it to my sister.

Until...

... on friday Kristy, John and I went to Jongleurs (just getting there is a story in itself) and we got a tad tipsy while wathcing the comedians and eating greasy food. (As an aside, the first comedian started badly but got better, the second wasn't really my cup of tea, and the final was very good). And, once I had got my reprobate hubbie and sloshed sister back to the house, I, in a moment of stupidity say "Look what I made for you!". Kristy agrees that it doesn't look like the brightest dragon ever but seems to like it so all is OK and then I show her the book I got it out of to show her what it should have looked at and she falls in love with the frogs. Next morning, we are eating our hangover cure fry up and so I quickly knit her one, so then she wants it sewn onto the dinos head. So we now have a mentally challenged dino, with a frog on his head who is the brains of the outfit and a weeble on his back. Weridest cuddly toy I have ever seen.... Anyway, here are some piccies of Randolf the frog, Bog the dragon and Root the weeble. Oh and Kristy...









John and I have just watched a program by Danny Wallace called "Chimps are People too" looking at the similarities and differences between Chimps and Us. It was typical Wallace fayre - good but not brilliant and amusing rather than educational. Having said that, I really enjoyed his books "Yes Man" and "Join me" which were hysterical. Anyway (I seem to be rambling somewhat) on the related website there is a test to see if you are 99.4% chimp or 100% human and I came out chimp! So no suprise there then...





Finally, here is a quick piccy of my gorgeous boy, as I rearranged the lounge the other day so that his den is away from the radiator as he gets too hot over the winter when the heating is on and he was a bit disconcerted by the change.

No comments: