Saturday, July 07, 2007

Medieval Madness!

We set off for Tewkesbury late as both of us were so knackered we had problems getting up and getting going. It was a long trip, about 3 hours and Kristy, after being subjected to J and I's travel bingo game, fell asleep for the last section. It has a bit hairy for a while when we took a side route to get petrol and ended up going via a long incline and I think I boiled the brakes as things went a bit spongy for a while.

When we arrived, the camping field was PACKED! The fields that they usually use were still too muddy, having been underwater the previous weekend, so we they were using new, smaller fields and some of the authentic tents had to be set up on the plastics site. We eventually got set up and immeadiately got to sewing as we hadn't had time to hem K's kirtle and so we just tacked the edge up, as we did all weekend - the damn hem didn't stay up for more than a couple of hours. Tiredness and silliness meant we were almost hysterical with laughter most of the time, though I can't for the life of me remember what we talked about except the "safe for TV" version of Hot Fuzz. Mother huggers...



We soon got a phone call from Cas who wasn't far from arriving and went to join her and help put up her tent. I haven't seen her since our Grandad's funeral about 11 years ago so almost the first words out of her mouth "when did you inherit your mother's voice?" were a tad annoying, as were the bitter comments about the piano that was her grandmothers and my mum rescued from being thrown out by my misery-guts-grandad and which is now mine.

We then headed back to the van, finished the kirtle and headed off to find the beer tent with Mike and Mikey (I think I have that right). We managed to find the longest possible route - about a 20 minutes walk as it is - but finally Mike's beer homing radar won out. We split up then as Kristy and I needed Tea and Mike needed Beer. We had crepes (ratatouie and cheese and msuhrooms and cheese) and then headed to the beer tent. A not-that-great band was playing and I had mead and Kristy had cider. We stood around and chatted and K soon found her toes and fingers tingling - we had another cider split between us and K, who was "ver ver Tired, doncha know" was very quickly giggly. We then walked the road way back to the campsite, having helped three blokes with their droopy armour, giggling all the way.

Having got back to the van, we realised that we really should have put the Thermo vats up on the windows of the van BEFORE we left so I put them up while Kristy struggled to stay awake while she undressed. We eventually hauled our asses onto the uncomfortable futon matteress and turned ou the light. "L, have you locked the doors?", K was heard to utter. "Yes", I replied. "OK... <>". Please note : the ellipses in the previous sentence may have over emphasise the gap between OK and the van shaking snore.

I got up about 5 am to go the loo and it was gorgeous but FREEZING out. The sky was beeeeeutifully clear and sparkley and it was kinda weird as I wandered to the loo, meeting a guy in full medieval garb and cloak coming out of a portaloo. (Which reminds me - I saw LOADS of willies over the weekend due to a portaloo that was a urinal - I had never seen one of those before and you couldn't help but sneak a peek while queueing for the loo).



And I am being told it is bed time so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments: